The path of the Christlike life is the greatest adventure anyone can experience. To know that God our Creator is daily working within us to shape us into the image of Christ is an incredible experience. Getting started is simple process, as easy as ABCs. Consider this "ABC" process as a guide - admit, believe, and confess.
ADMIT You Are a Sinner
- Read Romans 3:23 - "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." This verse tells us that everyone disobeys God at some time, and that disobedience is sin.
- Read Romans 6:23 - "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." When we sin, we earn death. But God offers us a free gift of eternal life, if we are willing to accept it.
BELIEVE in Jesus
- Read John 3:16 - “'For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.'" God hates sin but loves each of us, even though we all sin. He loves us so much that He gave Jesus, His Son, to die and take the punishment for our sins.
CONFESS that Jesus is your Lord
- Read 1 John 1:9 - "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." Asking Jesus into your heart is the start of a new life, a life where Jesus is your leader, your Lord. He will never leave you alone.
- If you are ready to ADMIT you are a sinner, BELIEVE that God has provided forgiveness and eternal life through Christ, and CONFESS Jesus as your Lord, pray this simple prayer: Dear Jesus, I am a sinner. I have disobeyed You. Please forgive me. Come into my heart and life. Help me love and follow You. Thank You for the gift of salvation. Amen.
Once you've started you adventure of new life in Christ, you might be asking, now what? To help you get started, and to answer some of the most common questions, consider these resources available from MyHealthyChurch.com:
- Now What? for Youth: Salvation - this brief 32-page booklet walks you through the details of you salvation decision and answers common questions about the spiritual journey that follows. Features Bible readings, study questions, and memory verses to help you connect to God now, and for a lifetime to come. Also available in Spanish.
- Now What? for Youth: Baptism in the Holy Spirit - Looking for a deeper understanding of the Baptism in the Holy Spirit? This 32-page booklet answers your questions about who the Holy Spirit is and what He means to our everyday lives. This booklet will help you understand what happens when you're baptized in the Holy Spirit and how God uses the Spirit to guide our discipleship journey. Also available in Spanish.
Leading Others to Christ
Once you've experienced new life in Christ, you'll want to share it with others. There's nothing quite so exciting as helping a friend accept Jesus as Savior. As you spend time together, look for opportunities to share with them your own personal testimony about your faith in Christ and lead them to the Savior. When they respond to a salvation invitation use this simple plan as a guide as you lead them through the process of accepting Jesus as Savior
Go with them to tell their parents the good news of their salvation. Ask if they would like to be baptized in water as a sign of his or her decision to live for Jesus. Provide them with a Bible if they don't already have one and encourage them to begin reading it daily. A good place to start is the Gospel of John. And encourage them to attend church with you regularly to learn more and connect with other Christian in your area.
Beginning a new life with Christ is the greatest adventure a person can experience, and as their friend in Christ, you have the privilege of enjoying it with them. Go together, and Live the Adventure!